Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I referred a friend and all i got was this lousy t-shirt

Anula, one of the Thai workers who has been on the farm for nearly two years wore a shirt the other day that read "I referred a friend and all I got was this lousy t-shirt." I thought it was so ironic because his cousin or brother in law Lampoon has been here for three months. The two work about 13 hours a day for what me and Arielle figured out comes to about $2/hr ---- and probably that lousy t-shirt.

Conclusions for WWOOFING:
After doing a bunch of dishes, cooking meals with the freshest ingredients I've ever tasted and working laboriously in the fields sweating in places I didn't know could sweat and feeling thigh muscles I didn't know I had - tomorrow is my last day of work on the farm. I'm probably headed to volunteer on a kibbutz up north next week but for now I can say I survived and learned a lot about my personal work ethic and farming issues.

Although I will be leaving with blisters and bug bites as testimony to my experience here at Bet Yitzhak - I didn't break or sprain a limb or get one bitten off by a scorpion or snake and for that I'm thankful. I realize Thai people work hard as shit in thankless jobs and they're pretty damn cool.

After a week alone with my ipod wishing each day would end - this week I got a friend. Arielle is 19 and Canadian and did an Israel Outdoors birthright program right after me. We've been music sharing and working together this week and will go out and party in Tel Aviv tomorrow. I have another post coming about Canadian music and culture thanks to her knowledge.

Paris Hilton and her simple life has nothing on me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment