Sunday, June 14, 2009

Georgios Papadapalous Part 2

Sadly Talia didn't have the funds or desire to see night two of the synch festival so I went alone. Big shout out to my two Cyprus gay men -- I met my dancing soul mate Pavlos Ziouha and his ex-boyfriend on Friday and spent most of Saturday night getting super sweaty and jumping with them. Pavlos and I rocked out at Junior Boys, Squarepusher and The Bug like noone else - when my hands were in the air - his hands were in the air. When I did windmills on the floor- he did windmills on the floor :)

Highlights:
SQUAREPUSHER - like you need an excuse to shake your whole body as fast as possible? Sick live show here - crazy beats and visuals unlike anything else - this act really made the festival.

Mulatu Astatke and the Heliocentrics - Go out and buy their new cd immediately. It's just feel good world music with this old dude who's the shit Mulatu Astatke playing congos and xylophone. Budos Band needs to hear the heliocentrics!!

The Bug: Dubstep at its very very best. A packed house - this felt like Berlin or an underground club in the UK. Just bouncing feels soo good.

Hudson Mohawke- I blogged about this guy months ago when Sashe Frere Jones mentioned him as part of the Glasgow collective in the same article as Flying Lotus from LA as a new genre of hip hop producers. Well - turns out the guy is 24 but looks 12. I told him he had such a baby face but thanked him profusely for my favorite song so far of 2009 - Zoooooom - looks like such a boy though for such manly music :) But possibly best part of festival because I met Georgios Papadapalous here - a greek academic hipster who's currently studying in the Netherlands at the "Post academic institute for research and production fine art, design and theory" We got down.

Line Up: Again though F highlights the whole thing rocked.

The Matthew Herbert Big Band - Electro jazz - reminded me of guy I met at Be Berlin event that's composing an electric symphony at Lincoln Center
Mulatu Astatke and the Heliocentrics
Squarepusher

A Mountain of One
The Teenagers - The only act of the festival I missed :(
Junior Boys - Great show!!

Night on Earth
Biomass
Fennesz
2L8

The Bug
Hudson Mohawke

Alex Tsirdis
Caribou

NTEIBINT
Shit Robot
Aeroplane - Cyprus men said these guys are awesome I'll keep an eye out!
Matthew Jonson

No comments:

Post a Comment