Sunday, June 7, 2009

Kibbutz is Kaput

Kibbutz's are changing. Real change happened in 1991 around first gulf war - people stopped putting their kids in the community center and started having them live in the house

now it's a community but more like a corporation instead of a way of life.

Family food feud- I've stayed with four different families now in Israel and the food they've fed me has gone from good to amazing to gourmet magazine worthy. I'm currently at the Ramot Menashe kibbutz with the family of family friends back in New York. The mom made the most amazing lamb/chicken meat balls, cheesecake and ruggalah I've ever had. Sorry to keep blogging about food but it's just soo good. When I'm living at the hostel I don't really eat anything besides the free bread and jelly they put out in the morning so I'm like a bear trying to stock up before I hibernate on the beaches of Tel Aviv.

Tomorrow they're putting me to work w/ the men and the cows in the morning but here it's an 8am wake up call and not the ungodly hour of 5:30a like back at WWOOF. Then in the afternoon i get to take a walk and go to the town pool, do some laundry and probably eat a lot more brilliant fresh squeezed juice, fat olives, savory hummus and flavorful meat dishes. Back to Tel Aviv Tuesday morning and off to Greece on Wednesday at 7am.

No comments:

Post a Comment