Thursday, May 21, 2009

You could be a farmer in those clothes

The schedule here at the organic farm is as follows. For my first official day wake up time was 6am. For my first task- feed the fish.. I underestimated the strength it would take to pull a time released pulley in a box and almost fell into a stinky tank. Luckily, for me and the fish, I caught myself in time.

Then it was off to clip zucchini off their vines and pick and package strawberries. I had some of these berries with my lunch and they were incredible.

Planting a new plot of the fruit came next. We spent about two hours planting strawberries and I learned to bury the roots from the sides and in a round gulf so that the dripping water can circulate.

Lunch was schnitzel on a challah roll with fresh, super fresh tomatoes and onions and babaganoush. I also had some pecans that were amazing. Everything here is organic and brought in from 150 feet away.

I thought I had the good life and misunderstood when Amir, my boss, told me I was finished for the day. I was about to ask him to translate the newspaper headlines of the day for me when two minutes later he told me to run and catch up with the thai gentlemen he employs. We spent the next few hours in the very hot sun picking grapefruits. I underestimated the romanticism of this task but when I sat for a break I ate some of the fruit and it brought a smile back to my face. Again, best grapefruit ever!

I like seeing the farm to table aspect here and appreciate the hard work that goes into this profession and way of life. And I'm eating like a queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment