Thursday, April 30, 2009

Rock My Face Off

So this is a little bit late but my Coachella post is ready for the blogosphere. I'm far enough away from the binge now to talk about my amazing experiences.

My "my mind is blown" moments came from the art installations so I'll put that at the top since you won't want to read my tremendously long post. 

Pyrocardium- guys from SF brought this to Coachella. A spiral fire follows the patterns of your heart beat monitored from your finger by your pulse. WOW. COOL. 

The Quad Cubatron- I literally want to go to art school and make this my career or my really insane hobby. Basically this guy Mark Lottor programmed 30 minutes of 3D graphics in a matrix 10 ft off the ground that's 20X20ft. It's a cube that features 5760 computer controlled LED lights. Crazy. 

Friday I saw: Switch, People Under the Stairs, Los Campesinos, The Black Keys, Franz Ferdinand, Leonard Cohen, Beirut, Girl Talk, Paul Mccartney, Bajofondo and the Crystal Method. 

Now that's a lot of great music. Some awesome moments came at Bajofondo. GT was a dance party as always and the Crystal Method was just one big rave in the Sahara tent.

Saturday got a bit hectic and I missed Ida Maria, Paolo Nutini, TV on the Radio, Blitzen Trapper, Tinairwen, Booker T, Junior Boys, Gang Gang Dance, Glasvegas, Fleet Foxes and the Killers... DAMN IT. What did I see you ask??

Some Thievery Corporation (I got bored easily and only saw the first few songs) The Bloody Beetroots killed it ..even though I had never heard of them before, M.I.A was bad live yet again, the Chemical Brother's DJ set rocked my pants off, caught a glimpse of Band of Horses which was pretty then hit the MSTKRFT show. That was tight but they play in NY all the time so I'm mad at myself for being so irresponsible to miss all the music I was aching to see. 

Sunday: I wasn't letting myself get away with anything today. I saw 12 hours of music.
Mexican Institute of Sound = conga lines in the desert!
Friendly Fires - Reminded me of the Talking Heads. Brilliant.
Busy P - WOW ...FUN
Okkervil River- Beautiful desert music
Peter Bjorn and John - Good but I think I like them inside smaller venues.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Yes, yes great live show.
Lykke Li- Chiller than I expected, awesome.
My Bloody Valentine - Just classic rock music here
The Kills- Saw the whole set, great performers 
Public Enemy - These guys are still kicking. Flavor Flav is old as shit though.
The Orb - Way too chill "ambient" for my taste.
Groove Armada - WOOP! 
The Cure - Old oldies playing oldies but goodies
Etienne De Crecy- Yes the box, the box. He's a french electronic DJ with a cool box. Now stop taking ectasy for 5 minutes, geeze. 


No comments:

Post a Comment