Sunday, March 15, 2009

Jessica Takes the Nation's Capitol

This weekend I ventured to Washington D.C to celebrate a friend's birthday. Here's where I ate and what I saw: 

1. Took the Bolt Bus down there for $25 each way. Leaves from 33 and 7th (right next to Sbarro's) and dropped me off in downtown D.C. 

2. Got off the bus, headed to Chinatown for Dim Sum (Obviously, I love me some Dim Sum). Had delicious stuffed fried tofu at Szechuan Gallery at 617 H St. NW. Twenty percent off dim sum and a beer to start me sight seeing. 

3. Headed a few blocks south for some classic American history. First off I hit the National Botanical Gardens right next to the Capitol building. Then I was off the short distance to the National monument, National Sculpture Garden, Lincoln Memorial. The I went and said hello to B and M at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

4. Ali and I drankity drunk at the Black Rooster Pub at 19th St. HW between L and K 

5. Had yummy pizza at Red Rocks near Columbia Heights.

SATURDAY:

1. Sampled the famous Half Smoke Chili Dog (Bill Cosby's favorite) at historic venue Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street. Fell asleep against the mirror waiting and waiting for my delicious meal. 

2. After a brief nap, headed to dinner :) Went to Vegetate by Howard University.

3. A wonderful evening of dancing and wigs at Wonderland Ballroom. 

SUNDAY:

1. A HUGE lunch that reminded me of Grandma Birdie's Chicken in the East Village at D.C soul food institution Oohh's and Aahhs. Had some amazing baked chicken, mac and cheese and iced tea. Cornbread, salmon, green beans, lemon cake - what didn't I get? 

Next time I'm in DC I will: 

1. Hit the National Art Museum

2. Visit Du Pont Circle and 

A. Cue Bar: 1115  U St. NW
B. 9:30 Club
C. Fight Club Punk Scene: 10th NW between L and M
D. DC Blues Festival: www.dcblues.org - Sept. 
E. Adams Morgan Festival: www.adamsmorganday.org - Sept.
F. See Rock Creek Park 

Hit up Shenendoah National Park, get some white water rapids in and camping in West Virginia. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment